Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Recently i've been thinking about the scripture Alma 34:32, which states "For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God." The scripture was brought up by my lit teacher in a discussion about George Herbert's poetry. The poem we were reading was "Redemption"

HAVING been tenant long to a rich Lord,
Not thriving, I resolved to be bold,
And make a suit unto him, to afford
A new small-rented lease, and cancell th’ old.

In heaven at his manour I him sought :
They told me there, that he was lately gone
About some land, which he had dearly bought
Long since on earth, to take possession.

I straight return’d, and knowing his great birth,
Sought him accordingly in great resorts ;
In cities, theatres, gardens, parks, and courts :
At length I heard a ragged noise and mirth

Of theeves and murderers : there I him espied,
Who straight, Your suit is granted, said, and died.

The interpretation i came up with for the poem is one of dependence on our part. As tenants under the Lord, we require His grace to perform our labors and find salvation. Without His sacrifice, our suit could never be granted.

My question in that context, and with Alma 34 is what qualifies as proper preparation for our meeting with God? As mentioned later in the chapter, success in this lives depends on our ability to improve ourselves. I suppose that every decision we make, even the ones that seem so small and insignificant can in some way help or hinder our personal preparation. Now as Herbert points out, we cannot really improve ourselves, but rely on the Grace of our savior to become better. This is what Elder Bednar refers to as the enabling power of the atonement. As we rely on Christ we are able to perform works that we otherwise would not have the strength or power to accomplish.

Last night we had our first, and unfortunately last tournament soccer game. We started out with a quick goal off a corner kick, but that would be the extent of our scoring success. I was quite disappointed with my personal performance. I feel like i've a step of quickness over the past month. i Guess that's part of growing old. I need to start working out again and getting my legs back.

No comments: